Sunday 16 December 2018

An Eventful Summer



Quite a lot has happened since the last post on my blog, once again I have been somewhat neglectful on the update front!

In July I went into hospital to have a mitrofanoff operation, and this is where the story gets a bit complicated… Following the initial operation, I had a series of complications (as my body apparently took the list of potential complications as some sort of challenge); this ultimately led to sepsis, an emergency second operation, and a short stay in intensive care of which I remember very little. Overall I was in hospital for three weeks, with two of them spent unable to eat or drink and being fed directly into a vein by my heart. Once I came home I was still very weak, and in total spent around six weeks in bed.

Thankfully I am doing much better now, and although I do need another (hopefully small) operation to repair the result of one of the complications, I am glad I chose to have the mitrofanoff as it will make my life a lot easier, especially with regards to travelling and being independent.



However, the summer wasn’t all bad, thanks to a grant from the Liz and Terry Bramall Foundation I was able to purchase a new, higher-spec monoski. (For those who know about this sort of thing, I upgraded from a Tessier Tempo Uniski to a Tessier Scarver Uniski). Having to wait to be able to use it was pretty torturous, and the first time I tried it was not very successful, but I can now see the benefits it provides me with, and I have great hopes for the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Skiing, and a Return to Landgraaf

With only a few hours in indoor snow domes (since my operation and the debacle that followed) as practice, in November I once again headed...