Wednesday 15 June 2016

March Part 1: Obersaxen

In March I set off on my next skiing adventure, this was my first time skiing on my own ski (before this I had been borrowing one from DSUK Manchester), this made a massive difference to my performance as I was able to tune the ski to my preferences and it was in much better condition. First I travelled with the team to Obersaxen, Switzerland, later we continued to Tignes, France for the first ever para-alpine British national championships.

The work began in Obersaxen, here I did a bit of training with the intention of racing the slalom race of the Swiss national championships. Unfortunately a nasty crash the day before meant I had to pull out of this race, as I had hit my head quite hard and was a bit dazed as well as being very tired (fatigue is a big part of my HSP, and this can affect my skiing quite a lot, although in Obersaxen did earn me a ride on a skidoo). For this race I sat out and cheered on my teammates, resting for the next part of this trip.

 Despite having to miss the race, this was not a wasted trip; here I gained a lot more experience on steeper terrain, which is something I find more difficult (this contributed to many of my falls). I also value all aspects of skiing in the mountains, as it offers much more variation and allows me to become a more versatile skier than I would be if I trained exclusively indoors.



And then onto Tignes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Skiing, and a Return to Landgraaf

With only a few hours in indoor snow domes (since my operation and the debacle that followed) as practice, in November I once again headed...